I definitely have mixed feelings about the show. I think that it's great that it showed consumers that you CAN save money with coupons. But I have to say that it made "couponers" look like a bunch of hoarding crazy people.
Since there were several accounts of coupon misuse and coupon fraud on the show it has made using coupons, even here in Canada a bit more difficult. There are now more restrictions on coupons such as:
- Coupons stating that they can not be stacked (for those who shop at London Drugs)
- Limiting the amount of like coupons
- A lot more stores just flat out don't take printable coupons anymore
- More in store rules about coupons usage. See your local store for their coupon policies as they are sometimes store specific and can change often.
Since the show has aired I have stopped bringing my coupon binder to the store. I now pull coupons I will use and paper clip them to my list and leave the binder in the car. The general consensus is that if you have a coupon binder with you then you MUST be just like the people on the show. Well, I'm not but I couldn't stand the dirty looks anymore.
I have even had issues with a few cashiers sighing and rolling their eyes when I give them coupons. I'm not talking stacks of coupons, I'm talking about 6 or 7 coupons and absolutely legit Save.ca, Websaver.ca and Brandsaver.ca coupons.
I just want to say to them ,"I'm here to shop at your store, but I want to save money for my family. Please don't give me a hard time, I'm trying to a courteous shopper here!"
If you are a couponer, please make sure that:
- Your coupons are legit
- You check the expiry date
- You purchase the correct product for the coupon
- You follow the rules. Some Brandsaver coupons now say "Limit of 4 like coupons"
- Don't be a shelf clearer, no one likes that!
- Don't take peelie stickers off items if you are not purchasing them
- If you do use a lot of coupons try not to shop on the busiest days, usually Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Personally, I like to shop on Wednesday nights when the kid's are at Girl Guides.
- Be polite to your cashier. If a problem arises, politely ask to speak to the manager.
Do you find that coupons are harder to use now? Please comment below.