We are just finishing up the lower level of the house right now. Once it's all straightened out I'll post more about it. Here's a quick DIY project my husband and I did together last week.
The lower rec room is long and narrow (12'X35"). The left side of the room is our TV area and on the right we have a long rectangular table for crafts and games. I knew I wanted a bench to run along one side of the table and we also needed storage for crafts. FYI Upholstered benches are NOT cheap.
I thought why not do a DIY! I had a $45 IKEA Gift card and picked up this Expedit Unit for $69 ($79.09 taxes in) After my gift card I paid a whopping $34.09!
Once I got the unit home and assembled it I measured the top and my handy dandy husband cut a piece of plywood the same size. While he did that, I headed out to a local fabric/craft store and purchased a piece of high density foam.
I paid a whole $4 a yard plus I got a discount for finishing the bolt! (reg price was $18 per yard)
Now for assembly!
- Place the foam on top of the cut out piece of plywood.
- Use a sharpie marker and draw a line on the foam where it will need to be cut.
- Using an electric knife cut the foam to size
- Spray glue the plywood and place the foam on top
- Cut a piece of fabric to fit leaving a few extra inches more then you need
- Wrap the fabric tightly around the foam/wood
- staple the heck out of it
- Screw the top down to the Expedit unit
- Tout Fini! (All Finished!)